Reaching for New Heights

I’ve always wished I was a good climber. I’ve never been bad at it, but I most certainly have never been ‘good’. Climbing is a strange passion of mine, I hate going because I’m not good, but the draw to get better is undeniable. The climbing wall in the Klarc Athletic Center was closed during the first few months of school, but now that it has reopened I’ve been reaching for new goals.

Overcoming a recent shoulder injury, climbing has allowed me to stay physically active without putting excessive wear on my healing shoulder. When the wall reopened after fall break, I was nervous about going for my first time this year. Having been abroad last semester, and then hearing that the wall underwent “massive renovations”, I felt like a first year again, stepping into an unknown zone with no true idea about what I was getting myself into.

When I walked into Klarc for the first time, and started to make my way back to the climbing wall, I started to get a tinge of nervous energy. Reaching the door to the wall, I thought I would look inside and see a brand new set up with new additions to the wall everywhere. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the renovations that occurred were mostly in the liability forms, and in some of the code approval that the climbing wall staff had to go through. After checking in, I started my first climb back at Bucknell in over a year. I managed a first ascent. Granted, I was climbing a V2 and had been climbing abroad more often than I ever climbed at Bucknell, but I felt accomplished. It was my first day back, and I had overcome not only my first puzzle on the wall, but I had overcome the nervous energy that had stopped me from coming back earlier. I’m ready to reach for new heights this semester, and climbing is how I will be getting there.

-PKK

15211764_212366279212181_1439547031_n